March Movies

As well as out Fatso contingent of films on DVD/Blu Ray last month, we also ventured out from the comfort of our couch and went to the actual cinema, not once, but twice!

I AM NUMBER FOURI Am Number Four

Our spontaneous outing to the cinema to see this movie meant that I had absolutely no clue what the film was about. Having no prior expectations often makes the film far more enjoyable.

Alex Petlyfer plays John, who is ‘Number Four’ in those saved from his planet. When the first three are killed it is up to John and his guardian Henri (Timothy Olyphant) to keep his heritage intact. Dianna Agron (Glee) plays John’s love interest. The special effects were great and both Petlyfer and Olyphant are very nice to look at. View the trailer.

In a nutshell: Action and romance. Should keep all parties happy.

LIMITLESS

Our second trip to the cinema in March was to see Bradley Cooper (The Hangover) and Robert De Niro in this gripping thriller.

The story – humans only use 20% of their brain, so what happens if you could take a pill to help you use the other 80%? How would it change your life? A fresh and interesting concept. Definitely the best movie I saw all month.

In a nutshell: Great film. Go and see it.

THE SOCIAL NETWORK

If you haven’t heard of the social networking website of Facebook, then you have obviously been living under a rock for the past seven years. This movie is based on the true story of Facebook’s conception and the relationships of the pivotal people involved, as the by-line of the movie states “You don’t get to 500 million friends without making a few enemies”.

Jesse Eisenberg does a great job playing geeky Mark Zuckerberg, the brains behind Facebook, while Justin Timberlake’s portrayal of Napstar’s, Sean Parker, was surprisingly good.

In a nutshell: Hubby didn’t like it, but I really enjoyed this movie and recommend it to every Facebooker out there.

SALT

Action packed spy movie staring Angelina Jolie. I personally enjoyed this film because it didn’t focus on how hot Anglelina is, in fact she ALMOST looks like an average person with her hair short, although not sure if all the fight scenes dictate an average status.

In a nutshell: A good basic action movie.

Tomorrow When the War Began

TOMORROW WHEN THE WAR BEGAN

The first negative to this movie is the Australian accents, but if you can get past that, it’s okay. The movie is based on a series of teen books, which I haven’t read.

The basic outline is seven Aussie teens go camping in the middle of no where and come back to find that their country is at war, and all their families have been captured. Typically all your major stereotypes are covered: dumb blonde, Asian guy, pretty boy, straight laced girl, bad boy, etc.

It’s a coming of age story, with the scenery of the Australian bush and outback presented in a much better way that ‘Australia – the Movie’. However, the last scene, focusing on each of the teen’s faces as they stand proud on a rock is a bit over the top.

In a nutshell: Save it for a rainy day.

WHERE THE TRUTH LIES

Lanny (Kevin Bacon) and Vince (Colin Firth) are an entertainment duo in the 50’s. The discovery of a dead maid in their hotel suite destroys the partnership, even though they both have rock solid alibis. Fifteen years on, an up-and-coming journalist decides to investigate. It was interesting to see Colin Firth with a dirty 70’s moustache and I’m not sure if all the slightly porno scenes added to the story, but an interesting movie, all the same.

In a nutshell: Interesting to see Bacon and Firth do something a bit different, but a bit slow in places.

IN THE ELECTRIC MIST

In a backwater part of America, a hooker turns up dead. At the same time a black prisoner from the 60’s body is also discovered. Tommy Lee Jones plays a detective investigating the murders, who is sure that a Mobster (John Goodman) is involved.

In a nutshell: Definitely not Tommy Lee Jones’ best work, but the hubby enjoyed it.

Advertisements

About Celeste

Kiwi girl. Mum of twins. Passionate about New Zealand, wine, travel and social media. New to California. View all posts by Celeste

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: